Tuesday, April 12, 2011

An Unexpected Visit

Today has been the scariest day of all the days I have lived so far. When there is another human life growing inside of you that only you can protect, everything is dramafied times 100000000. The past few weeks I've been feeling uncomfortable. I use that term loosely because there is nothing about growing a human that isn't uncomfortable. But this was different. This was a sort of feeling I had. I started having pain in my lower abdomen at about 10 weeks but didn't think anything of it because every one I talked to said they had experienced the same thing and not to think about it as anything other than "normal." 


The past few days the pain and intensity got worse. I chalked it up to my uterus rising into my abdomen because, well... that's what everyone else said it was. I would urinate and the pain would stop. This morning I went to work and no matter how often I used the restroom the pain would not stop. It got to the point where I had to stop what I was doing as the pain was taking my breath away. I called my midwife after 3 hours of this pain and she told me to come in immediately. She told me to hold my urine because she needed a sample. The thing about this pain is that it is made worse by any kind of pressure- including the pressure of a full bladder. The ride from Waldorf to Alexandria took no more than 30 minutes. We hit every.single.red.light and at one point I told Nick to let me go with the police officer that was stopped at the light with us because "he could turn on his sirens and have me there in 10 minutes." We finally got to the midwife and I was in tears. I managed to get out, "In a lot of pain. Have to pee now. She needs a sample." I peed for 5 minutes straight. No lie. I felt so much better. I almost fell asleep in the waiting room. 


We got back into the appointment room and she measured my uterus. She found it was twice the size of what it should be. 
I am currently 14 weeks. My uterus is measuring above my belly button, at over 20 weeks. 

I was also having a lot of pain when she pushed on my lower belly. Pain that brought me to tears and I couldn't talk through. I'm not talking dull, achy pain. I'm talking someone is stabbing me. She sent me over for an emergency sonogram to check for fibroids, cysts, or another baby and told me to call if I hadn't been contacted by the end of the day. 

We went for the sonogram right away and were able to be seen pretty quickly. The tech saw only one fetus, measuring at 15 weeks. No cysts or fibroids. Everything looked perfect. We left feeling frustrated that we weren't getting any answers but got these to make us feel better:

I called my midwife back after I hadn't heard anything by the end of the day and she told me that the summary she got from the hospital looked normal and the only thing she "worried about" was that my ovaries were also "measuring big" which could indicate cysts that we mysteriously couldn't see on the sonogram. (hmmmm doesn't sound right...). So for now I have no answers, just an update and cute sonogram pictures. I'm hoping to get more answers tomorrow when the hospital sends over the final report of the sonogram. 

1 comment:

  1. That's so scary! I'm sorry that you had to go thru all of that.

    ReplyDelete