Tuesday, July 26, 2011

My iron story - a follow up

So, I refused to mention the iron again after posting about it initially because I didn't want to write about how well it was going, only to have it be immediately jinxed. So, since I knew it was going to happen one way or another I just figured I'd wait until after my overly dramatic "I'm throwing up so hard all of my insides are going to come up and I'm going to die right here on the bathroom floor" moment was over.
                                               

I'm supposed to avoid taking my iron with calcium and a full stomach. This to me translates to "take it a few hours after dinner." So last night, like a good girl, I ate dinner and a few hours later I took my iron. Now, usually this is not an issue because most nights bedtime comes about 30 minutes to an hour after I take my iron pill. Last night, however, I wanted to stay up to hear the president speak - which didn't happen until 9. I got hungry. So I ate. Keeping in mind that I'm trying to up my protein levels, my snack consisted of some peanut butter... with some M&Ms. About 5 minutes after I finished my protein rich snack I started feeling the way I remembered feeling in the first trimester. In a desperate attempt to keep my tummy calm I had a few crackers. About 5 minutes after that I couldn't sit down anymore because the pressure from little girl on my tummy while feeling nauseous was just too much.

Have you ever thrown up peanut butter? Not like half digested peanut butter, but freshly eaten peanut butter? If you have you can sympathize and if not I don't wish it on you. It comes up the same it went down. Except going down I had the opportunity to eat it in spoon fulls and it came back up in one long chunk. I didn't think I was ever going to be able to breathe again. I thought I was going to die.

And that's not the worst part. You know that iron is a metal and it's an essential part of our body. It's carried in our blood, and it's what gives blood that metallic taste. Well, I have never been able to be one of those people who just licks the blood off their cut finger. It makes me throw up. So, imagine if you will.... I just took 150% of my DV of iron in a little capsule that's dissolving slowly in my belly and going out to the rest of my body. I eat, and everything in my tummy comes back up. Including the pill that housed 150% of my DV of iron - which tastes like metal - which makes me throw up more. It's a vicious cycle.

Long story short - I have learned my lesson. I will take my iron pill not just a few hours after dinner but as I'm tucking myself in for the night. This assures me that I absolutely will not be having anything to eat after I take my supplement. I don't care how hungry I get. Breakfast will only be a few dreams and pee breaks away.

And now for some dinosaur / iron humor:
source

No comments:

Post a Comment