Saturday, November 5, 2011

Cloth Diaper Snob



I'm not afraid to admit it, I've become a cloth diaper snob. I haven't used a disposable in over a week and I'm loving it. Perhaps the newness will wear off, but I doubt it.

I promised you a post detailing exactly what kind of diapers I'm using, so here's the break down.

The first step was deciding whether I wanted pockets, all in ones, or prefolds and covers. (For a breakdown of what those mean see this post) I chose to go with pockets just because I heard prefolds and covers can get a bit overwhelming, and all in ones get pretty funky really fast if you don't take care of them just right (I don't want to have to think that hard about my poo catchers). Pockets are easy because you just destuff them, throw them in the washer, dry them, and re-stuff. Done.

I started my stash with 24 diapers. 12 BumGenius 4.0 (One Size)
Source
and 12 Fuzzibunz (One Size).
source
I then heard from the rumor mill that sometimes the one size diapers don't fit newborns and I could solve that problem by buying x-small cloth diapers. So I also stocked up on 7 x-small fuzzibunz diapers. Well, I'm here to tell you what a waste the x-small sized diapers were, because her legs are too small for the openings! Fuzzibunz one sized diapers have really awesome adjustable elastic in the legs, but the same is not true for their sized diapers. So the one sized diapers actually fit her correctly where as the x-small diapers are too big (figure that one out).

I then threw in a Charlie Banana one size diaper, but only because I loved the pattern.
Source
This diaper is EXTREMELY large on her because unlike the fuzzibunz diapers it has no adjustable elastic.

As I hear good deals come up I invest in more (they're not cheap!) and we're up to about 40. I still have to do a load every other day, but compared to the trash of disposables I think one more load of laundry isn't going to kill me.

I go back and forth on which brand I favor almost daily. The snaps on the BG4.0 diapers are easier for Nick and they're easier to stuff. But the Fuzzibunz leg holes seem to fit better and they're easier to de-stuff. I haven't noticed a difference in the absorbency of either brand, and really enjoy it more than I thought I would. I love that I don't have to feel bad about how often I change her diaper (I change them even if they aren't wet sometimes) and I love the colors more and more each time I see them.

I <3 poo catchers

No comments:

Post a Comment